Episode 81 – Bringing our industry UP! We’re in this together—let’s learn from one another.
Phil Carpenter is a young man with a lot of responsibility as the Director of Operations for Urban AutoCare and Avalon Automotive. He’s also the President of the ASA Colorado Mechanical Division and has a keen interest in local legislative and community issues. Urban and Avalon Owner Brian Sump has a lot of faith in Phil’s abilities. As one of the next-generation of business leaders, Phil represents a new face with new ideas. Listen in as he discusses:
· How he started young in the industry attending UTI and working for an Audi dealership before going into the independent segment.
· His role as Director of Operations for a growing number of locations.
· Their strategy of acquiring good shops and making improvements
· His typical day managing multiple locations.
· The challenges in finding the right technicians.
· The importance of developing technicians internally to “grow your own.”
· Urban’s apprenticeship program and the value it provides.
· Using every avenue to recruit technical talent.
· Getting involved with the local Automotive Technology Programs.
· His views on the biggest challenges facing our industry.
· How we can help the next generation of technicians.
· The importance of ongoing education and training.
· How he maintains his life/work balance and the importance of family.
· What we’ve learned from the pandemic and what’s going to stick.
· Phil’s perspective on the value of ASA membership.